Know the signs & symptoms
WHAT IS BLEPHARITIS
Blepharitis literally means ‘inflamed eyelids’. It can be the skin area around the eyelashes that is inflamed, or the area around the oil-producing (Meibomian) glands, or both. Blepharitis is not an eye infection, but you can have it alongside other eye infections. It is also the most common trigger for Dry Eye symptoms.
SYMPTOMS OF BLEPHARITIS
Symptoms of Blepharitis may include:
• Eyes can look red-rimmed and sore, like you have been crying
• Skin debris around the eyelash roots
• Foreign body sensation
• Red-rimmed, sore – looking eyes
• Gritty eyes
• Tired eyes
HOW COMMON IS BLEPHARITIS
Over 40% of adults will show signs of some blepharitis – and the older you are, the more common it becomes. If you have certain skin conditions, such as rosacea or eczema, you may be more likely to have blepharitis, and some medications can also have an influence. However, for most sufferers, it has no real cause, in a similar way to scalp dandruff.
HOW DO YOU MANAGE BLEPHARITIS
There are three elements to caring for eyelids on a regular basis:
• Warming, to encourage secretion from the
• Gentle cleansing of the eyelids
• Gentle massage, to encourage oily secretions
to flow from the Meibomian Glands
• Gentle eyelid cleansing every day is key –
because the skin around your eyes is very
delicate and, at the same time, inflamed, it is very
important to avoid soap, perfumes and
• Traditional remedies such as baby shampoo and
bicarbonate of soda should also be avoided, just
as they would be in managing other sensitive skin
• If you require eye surgery, such as for cataracts,
it is essential to manage blepharitis as it is the
most common reason to have your cataract
Blephaclean® is ideal for daily management of blepharitis as it can be used by all the family, from age 3 months. It removes dust, pollen and discharge from your eyelids, including when you
already have allergy symptoms or an eye infection.
CLEANSE WITH BLEPHACLEAN
These handy wipes are great for gentle cleansing of the eyelids and lashes, with no need for rinsing. Preservative, perfume and paraben-free, they can be used from the age of 3 months and are suitable for contact lens wearers.
Nutrof® Total is a unique combination of Omega — 3 fatty acids, Lutein and
Zeaxanthin, Resveratrol plus key vitamins and minerals, all in a once-a-day formula.
• Preservative, perfume and paraben-free
• So gentle, they can be used from age 3 months
• No need for any rinsing
• Suitable for contact lens wearers
• Suitable for all Dry Eye sufferers, including contact lens wearers
• Recommended by ophthalmologists for pre-and post-eye procedures
– seek advice from your eye care specialist
WHEN WOULD I USE THIS?
• Convenience – wipes are ready-to-use, with no additional pads required
• Travelling – easy to carry in your bag or pocket
• Cleansing treatment plan – when managing inflammation or infection of
the eyelids such as Blepharitis, Meibomian Gland dysfunction, Styes or Chalazia.
• Pre-or Post-surgery – with a recommendation from your ophthalmologist,
this helps manage any potential infection.